Welcome to my blog, where we explore the profound and inspiring words of the legendary tech entrepreneur, Steve Jobs. Although he is widely known for his innovative ideas and groundbreaking products, his words on life and death also offer valuable insights and perspectives. In this post, we will delve into some of Steve Jobs’ most thought-provoking quotes about life and death, and how they can inspire us to live more fulfilling and purposeful lives. From his own experiences with mortality to his views on the human condition, Jobs’ words offer a unique perspective on what it means to truly live and leave a lasting legacy. So, let’s discover the wisdom of Steve Jobs on life and death.
Note: All quotes are collected from Goodreads
Steve Jobs quotes on life and death
Here is the list of Steve Jobs quotes on life and death:
1. “Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.” ― Steve Jobs
The quote emphasizes the importance of embracing our mortality as a way to liberate ourselves from fear and pursue our passions wholeheartedly. By acknowledging that death is inevitable, we can let go of our attachments to material possessions, societal expectations, and other external factors that may hinder us from living a fulfilling life. Instead, we can focus on what truly matters to us and take bold actions to pursue our dreams, knowing that we have nothing to lose in the end. In essence, Jobs suggests that remembering our mortality can be a powerful motivator to live life to the fullest, without fear or hesitation.
2. “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.” ― Steve Jobs
This quote by Steve Jobs is about the importance of living your own life and not letting others dictate how you should live it. It suggests that time is a valuable and finite resource, and therefore it is crucial to use it wisely and on things that truly matter to you. By following your own dreams and passions, you can make the most of the time you have and live a fulfilling life. Conversely, if you spend your time trying to please others or living up to their expectations, you may end up feeling unfulfilled and regretful about how you spent your time. In essence, the quote is a reminder to prioritize your own goals and aspirations rather than living a life that is shaped by someone else’s expectations.
3. “Death is the destination we all share, no one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be because death is very likely the single best invention of life.” ― Steve Jobs
This quote by Steve Jobs highlights the inevitability of death – that it is a shared destiny of all living beings and that nobody has ever been able to avoid it. However, Jobs suggests that death serves a valuable purpose in the cycle of life, and that it is a necessary and natural part of the process. He refers to it as “the single best invention of life,” suggesting that death is what gives life meaning and purpose, and that it is what allows new life to emerge and flourish. In essence, Jobs is reminding us that death is not something to be feared, but rather embraced as an integral part of the human experience.
4. “Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” ― Steve Jobs
This quote by Steve Jobs suggests that one should have the courage to trust their inner voice and follow their heart and intuition. According to Jobs, our heart and intuition already know our true desires and aspirations in life, and it’s important to prioritize them over external pressures and expectations. The things that society or others may deem as important, such as money or status, are considered secondary compared to fulfilling our authentic aspirations. In essence, Jobs is encouraging people to trust themselves and pursue what truly makes them happy, even if it goes against conventional wisdom or societal norms.
5. “If you live each day as it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right” ― Steve Jobs
This quote by Steve Jobs suggests that we should live our lives as if each day is our last because we never know when it actually might be. If we approach each day with this mindset, we are more likely to make the most of every moment and prioritize the things that truly matter to us.
By living each day as if it were our last, we are more likely to avoid procrastination and focus on the things that truly bring us happiness and fulfillment. We are less likely to get bogged down by the stresses and concerns that don’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.
While it’s impossible to know exactly when our last day will be, this quote encourages us to live our lives to the fullest and make the most of the time we have.
6. “Sometimes life’s going to hit you in the head with a brick. Don’t lose faith. I’m convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did.” ― Steve Jobs
This quote by Steve Jobs suggests that life can be tough and unpredictable at times, and we may face obstacles and challenges that can feel overwhelming. However, he advises us not to lose faith in ourselves and our abilities to overcome these challenges.
Jobs believed that his passion and love for his work were the driving forces that kept him motivated and resilient, even in the face of adversity. In other words, he is suggesting that having a strong sense of purpose and passion for what you do can help you to stay committed and focused, even during difficult times.
Therefore, Jobs is encouraging us to find something that we are passionate about and to pursue it with all our heart, even when the going gets tough. This can help us to stay motivated and resilient, and ultimately achieve our goals and aspirations.
7. “You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.” ― Steve Jobs
In this quote, Steve Jobs is expressing his belief that having faith and trust in something, whether it be intuition, fate, or karma, is essential to achieving success and happiness in life. He suggests that this approach has been a guiding force in his own life and has been instrumental in his personal and professional accomplishments. Essentially, he is encouraging individuals to have faith in something larger than themselves, which can provide direction and purpose.
8. “We don’t get a chance to do that many things, and everyone should be really excellent. Because this is our life.” ― Steve Jobs
This quote from Steve Jobs emphasizes the importance of making the most of our limited time and resources in life. According to Jobs, we only have a limited number of opportunities to pursue our goals and dreams, so it is crucial to approach each one with the highest level of commitment and excellence. Jobs believed that each experience we have in life is significant and should be treated with great care and attention, as they shape the course of our lives. In essence, this quote is a reminder to strive for excellence in everything we do, as it is a reflection of the quality of our lives.
9. “No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new.” ― Steve Jobs
This quote from Steve Jobs suggests that death is an inevitable and shared experience that everyone will face. Despite this, most people are afraid of death and do not actively seek it, even if they believe in an afterlife like heaven. However, Jobs argues that death is necessary for life to continue and progress. Like a change agent, death allows for the removal of the old and outdated, making way for new opportunities and growth. Jobs implies that death is a natural part of the cycle of life and should be accepted rather than feared.
10. “Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.” ― Steve Jobs
This quote by Steve Jobs is about the importance of recognizing the finite nature of our lives and using that realization to make important decisions. By remembering that our time on earth is limited, we are forced to prioritize what truly matters to us and let go of distractions and concerns that are ultimately unimportant. Jobs suggests that many of the things that consume our thoughts and energy on a day-to-day basis, such as external expectations, pride, fear of embarrassment, or failure, become insignificant when viewed in the context of our own mortality. Thus, by embracing the reality of our own mortality, we are better equipped to focus on what is truly important in our lives and make choices that align with our deepest values and aspirations.
11. “If you want to live your life in a creative way, as an artist, you have to not look back too much. You have to be willing to take whatever you’ve done and whoever you were and throw them away.” ― Steve Jobs
This quote by Steve Jobs suggests that in order to live a creative life as an artist or creator, one must be willing to let go of their past accomplishments, experiences, and even their identity. Looking back too much on past achievements or personal identity can limit one’s ability to think and create freely. It is important to embrace change and be open to new ideas and perspectives, rather than clinging to what has been done before. Jobs believed that true creativity comes from taking risks and being willing to let go of the familiar, in order to pursue new possibilities and opportunities.
Also read: Oprah Winfrey Quotes on Success and Steve Jobs Quotes on Success
Image source: Getty Images