If you are looking for a new show to binge-watch that will keep you on the edge of your seat, look no further than Swarm, a psychological horror thriller series created by Donald Glover and Janine Nabers. The Swarm 2023 (TV series) follows Dre (Dominique Fishback), a young woman whose obsession with a pop star takes a dark turn. Appearing in supporting roles are Chloe Bailey, Billie Eilish, Paris Jackson, and Damson Idris.
- What is Swarm about?
- Why should you watch Swarm?
- How can you watch Swarm?
- Swarm (TV series) Cast
- How many episodes are there in Swarm?
- What are some of the themes explored in Swarm?
Swarm debuted on March 17, 2023, on Amazon Prime Video. It received positive reviews from critics, who lauded the screenplay, direction, cinematography, soundtrack, and balance between its vivid, bright aesthetic and its elements of psychological horror. Fishback’s performance in the series, particularly its premiere episode, has also received widespread acclaim, while the performances of Bailey and Eilish have also received popular praise.
What is Swarm about?
The series tells the story of Dre (Dominique Fishback), a young woman who is obsessed with Ni’Jah (Nirine S. Brown), a pop star whose oeuvre and aesthetic are very similar to that of American singer Beyoncé. Dre is part of Ni’Jah’s fanbase known as “The Swarm” (with Beyoncé’s fan base also known as the “Bey Hive”). The show is a dive into Dre’s life, her fandom, and how it takes her to dark, unexpected places.
Dre lives with her sister Marissa (Chloe Bailey), who is also a fan of Ni’Jah but not as extreme as Dre. Dre’s obsession with Ni’Jah leads her to do things that are dangerous, illegal or immoral such as stalking Ni’Jah online and offline; killing people who disrespect Ni’Jah or get in her way; joining a cult-like women empowerment group led by Eva (Billie Eilish); falling in love with Rashida (Kiersey Clemons), a college student who has a secret connection to Ni’Jah; and ultimately trying to meet Ni’Jah face-to-face.
Why should you watch Swarm?
Swarm is not your typical fan fiction or stalker thriller. It is a complex and nuanced exploration of fandom culture; celebrity worship; social media influence; mental health issues; identity crisis; sexuality; violence; and power dynamics. The show does not shy away from showing the dark side of fandom or the consequences of Dre’s actions. It also does not judge or demonize Dre but rather tries to understand her motivations and emotions.
Swarm is also visually stunning and captivating. The show uses vibrant colors; dynamic camera movements; stylish costumes; catchy music; and surreal imagery to create a contrast between Dre’s fantasy world and reality. The show also pays homage to various pop culture references such as Beyoncé’s Lemonade album; Black Mirror episodes; Jordan Peele’s Get Out movie; Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho movie etc.
Swarm is also well-acted by its talented cast especially Dominique Fishback who delivers an outstanding performance as Dre. Fishback portrays Dre with depth; range; charisma; vulnerability; intensity; humor etc. She makes us empathize with Dre even when she does horrible things. She also has great chemistry with her co-stars, especially Chloe Bailey who plays her sister Marissa.
How can you watch Swarm?
The Swarm consists of seven episodes that are available to stream on Amazon Prime Video since March 17th, 2023. Each episode ranges from 27 minutes to 39 minutes long. You can watch them all at once or one at a time depending on your preference.
If you are looking for a new show that will keep you hooked from start to finish then give Swarm a try. You will not regret it.
Swarm (TV series) Cast
Swarm is a TV series that has a cast of actors and characters as follows:
- Dominique Fishback as Dre, a young woman obsessed with a pop star
- Chloe Bailey as Marissa, Dre’s sister
- Nirine S. Brown as Ni’Jah, a pop star whom Dre idolizes
- Karen Rodriguez as Erica, Marissa and Dre’s friend
- Heather Simms as Loretta Greene, Dre’s mother
- Kiersey Clemons as Rashida, a college student whom Dre falls in love with
- Damson Idris as Khalid, Marissa’s boyfriend
- Leon Robinson as Harris, Khalid’s friend
- Paris Jackson as Hailey, a stripper who has an abusive boyfriend
- Byron Bowers as George Clemons, a DJ who Dre uses to get closer to Ni’Jah
- London Rose as Young Dre, Dre’s younger self
- Rory Culkin as an unnamed man who Dre meets at the club and goes home with
- Cree Summer as Rashida’s Mom, Rashida’s mother
- Kate Lyn Sheil as Cricket, one of the women at Eva’s commune
- X Mayo as an unnamed character who appears in episode 3
- Stephen Glover (Donald Glover’s brother) as Caché, Ni’Jah’s husband and collaborator
- Teresa L. Graves (Donald Glover’s mother) Patricia, Ni’Jah’s mother-in-law and Caché’s mother
- Atkins Estimond Reggie, a man Dre is hunting down who tweeted out negative stuff about Marissa and Ni’Jah
How many episodes are there in Swarm?
Swarm is a TV series that has 7 episodes in its first season. Each episode has a runtime of 27-39 minutes. The episodes are titled as follows:
- Episode 1: Stung
- Episode 2: Honey
- Episode 3: Taste
- Episode 4: Running Scared
- Episode 5: Girl, Bye
- Episode 6: Only God Makes Happy Endings
- Episode 7: Swarm
The episodes were released on March 17, 2023, on Amazon Prime Video.
What are some of the themes explored in Swarm?
Swarm is a TV series that explores some of the themes such as:
- The dark side of fandom and obsession
- The impact of social media and celebrity culture on identity and mental health
- The consequences of violence and trauma
- The power dynamics between women and men
- The satire of pop music and its icons
The series is influenced by various sources such as:
- Beyoncé’s music and persona, especially her 2016 album Lemonade
- Jordan Peele’s horror films such as Get Out and Us
- Donald Glover’s previous work such as Atlanta and Guava Island
- Urban legends and conspiracy theories about celebrities