Know here everything about World Wildlife Day 2023, its history, importance, Themes, Quizzes, and Quotes.
World Wildlife Day is an annual event observed on March 3rd that raises awareness about the importance of protecting and preserving the world’s flora and fauna. It aims to promote sustainable practices and conservation efforts for wildlife species and their habitats. The United Nations General Assembly designated this day in 2013 to mark the signing of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) on March 3, 1973. Each year, World Wildlife Day focuses on a specific theme related to wildlife conservation and sustainability.
Importance of World Wildlife Day
World Wildlife Day is important because it raises awareness about the urgent need to protect and preserve the world’s flora and fauna. It highlights the importance of biodiversity for the sustainability of ecosystems and for the well-being of humanity. Many wildlife species are threatened by habitat loss, poaching, illegal trade, and climate change, among other factors. World Wildlife Day encourages governments, organizations, and individuals to take action to protect and conserve wildlife and their habitats. By promoting sustainable practices and responsible consumption, we can reduce the impact of human activities on the natural world and ensure a healthier and more sustainable future for all species.
How to celebrate World Wildlife Day 2023?
There are many ways to celebrate World Wildlife Day, some of which are:
1. Learn about wildlife and their habitats: Take the time to read about different species and their ecosystems, and understand the threats they face.
2. Visit a national park or wildlife sanctuary: Spend time outdoors and appreciate the natural world around you. Visit a protected area and observe the wildlife in their natural habitat.
3. Support conservation organizations: Donate to organizations that work towards protecting and conserving wildlife and their habitats. These organizations work towards preserving ecosystems and biodiversity, and your support can make a difference.
4. Reduce your carbon footprint: Climate change is one of the major threats to wildlife and their habitats. Reduce your carbon footprint by adopting sustainable practices such as recycling, reducing plastic usage, and conserving energy.
5. Share your knowledge: Share your knowledge and encourage others to appreciate the natural world. Talk to your friends and family about the importance of wildlife conservation and encourage them to take action.
6. Participate in events: Attend events organized by conservation organizations, zoos, and parks to celebrate World Wildlife Day. These events provide an opportunity to learn, engage, and take action towards protecting wildlife and their habitats.
World Wildlife Day Themes 2023
The theme for World Wildlife Day varies each year and is chosen to draw attention to a particular aspect of wildlife conservation. Here are the themes for the past few years:
- 2023: “Partnerships for Wildlife Conservation”
- 2022: “Recovering key species for ecosystem restoration”
- 2021: “Forests and Livelihoods: Sustaining People and Planet”
- 2020: “Sustaining all life on Earth”
- 2019: “Life below water: for people and planet”
- 2018: “Big cats: predators under threat”
- 2017: “Listen to the young voices”
- 2016: “The future of wildlife is in our hands”
- 2015: “Wildlife crime is serious, let’s get serious about wildlife crime”
- 2014: “Illegal wildlife trade”
World Wildlife Day 2023 Quizzes
Here’s a short quiz to test your knowledge about World Wildlife Day:
1. When is World Wildlife Day celebrated?
a) March 1
b) March 2
c) March 3
d) March 4
2. What is the purpose of World Wildlife Day?
a) To raise awareness about the importance of protecting and preserving wildlife
b) To promote sustainable practices
c) To conserve endangered species
d) All of the above
3. Who designated March 3 as World Wildlife Day?
a) United Nations General Assembly
b) World Wildlife Fund
c) International Union for Conservation of Nature
4. What is the theme for World Wildlife Day 2021?
a) “Forests and Livelihoods: Sustaining People and Planet”
b) “The future of wildlife is in our hands”
c) “Illegal wildlife trade”
d) “Big cats: predators under threat”
5. What is one way to celebrate World Wildlife Day?
a) Reduce your carbon footprint
b) Visit a national park
c) Donate to conservation organizations
d) All of the above
1. c) March 3
2. d) All of the above
3. a) United Nations General Assembly
4. a) “Forests and Livelihoods: Sustaining People and Planet”
5. d) All of the above
World Wildlife Day Quotes 2023
Here are some quotes that celebrate and emphasize the importance of World Wildlife Day:
1. “In the end, we will conserve only what we love, we will love only what we understand, and we will understand only what we are taught.” – Baba Dioum
2. “The earth has music for those who listen.” – William Shakespeare
3. “In nature, nothing is perfect and everything is perfect. Trees can be contorted, bent in weird ways, and they’re still beautiful.” – Alice Walker
4. “The wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will.” – Theodore Roosevelt
5. “Wildlife is something which man cannot construct. Once it is gone, it is gone forever. Man can rebuild a pyramid, but he can’t rebuild ecology, or a giraffe.” – Joy Adamson
6. “If we can teach people about wildlife, they will be touched. Share my wildlife with me. Because humans want to save things that they love.” – Steve Irwin
7. “The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” – John Muir
8. “We won’t have a society if we destroy the environment.” – Margaret Mead
9. “We are in danger of destroying ourselves by our greed and stupidity. We cannot remain to look inwards at ourselves on a small and increasingly polluted and overcrowded planet.” – Stephen Hawking
10. “The earth is what we all have in common.” – Wendell Berry
Also read: Welcome March Quotes
Image by Freepik